The Churuk-Su Customs

Authors

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.61671/bsrcc.v4i2.11983

Keywords:

customs, border, goods, export, import

Abstract

Following the incorporation of Batumi by the Russians, a free, open, commercial port (porto-franco) was established starting October 8, 1878. The administration of the Batumi departmental port was subjected to the rules of international maritime navigation (see Batumi and its Environs in Russian, Batumi 1906, p. 104). Connected to the Batumi customs was the Churuk-Su customs checkpoint, which was formed in accordance with the decree of the Head of the Caucasus Quarantine and Customs Administration. The Churuk-Su customs began operations in 1910, following the abolition of the Nikoloz customs, and was offi­cially opened on May 28, 1912. The Churuk-Su customs was located at a distance of one verst from the Kobu­leti station, on the sandy road of the Black Sea strait. Its adjacent territories were Tsikhisdziri, Buknari, Chakvi, and Mtsvane Kontskhi (Green Cape). It possessed state lands and buildings. The customs office was housed in a one-story wooden building. The customs officers on staff received 1,100 rubles as income, while the chan­cellery workers received 540 rubles. This was a customs administration of local importance, whose duties consisted of minor matters, specifically the transit of cleared goods across the border and, together with the border detachment, the entry of cabotage (coastal) cargo.

Published

18-08-2026

How to Cite

Megrelishvili, M., & Megrelishvili, N. (2026). The Churuk-Su Customs. BLACK SEA REGION AT THE CROSSROADS OF CIVILIZATIONS, 4(2), 205–220; 221. https://doi.org/10.61671/bsrcc.v4i2.11983

Similar Articles

1 2 > >> 

You may also start an advanced similarity search for this article.